The Problem With Facebook

I resisted and I ignored. My brother and I talked about why we wouldn't ever do it. I caved in. Sorry bro! Just because everyone else is doing it, is not a good enough reason. It was more a curiousity thing.

Our pastor did a sermon series called Facebook last October 18, 2009 through November 22, 2009. Can't exactly remember the spiritual lesson about how Facebook ties in to biblical teaching. The thing I do remember was when Pastor Gary commented on how many friends that our worship leader Joey had - 1264! Tongue in cheek, he says I'm sure they're all close friends of yours. That made me wonder how that happens.

I'm about 1-1/2 weeks into facebook, and I now know what happens. It's the friend of friend syndrome. I had few friends in H.S. Not a sad thing. I was a late bloomer. I was a skinny little runt all the way up until 10th grade. My particular H.S. was the epitome of clique central. My lateness in gathering coolness left me out of the in cliques. It was also virtually impossible to crack a clique because the kids from the feeder Jr. High had been together since Kindergarten. I didn't move into the area until 7th grade.

Now on facebook, there's a dude from H.S. that's suggesting 'friends' from our H.S. to me. I barely remember him from back in the day. And I confess that I don't remember the people that he is suggesting to me. I went to my 5, 10 and 20 year class reunions. I'm done with that. I could hardly put the faces and the names together at the 20 year. Could be early onset Alzheimer's. Or it is most likely that I just wasn't friends with these people, and I've moved on after a couple of decades. Moved on as in just forgetting about them.

The funniest thing that has happened, was right after I joined facebook, but didn't completely flesh out my profile. I got a friend request from a cougar. And I say that with the most loving respect because she was my same age, but she thought that I was available. And I must say that when she saw my picture I'm sure she couldn't help herself (LOL). I thought that maybe it was a mom from the preschool where my wife teaches at. So I showed my wife the friend request. Oops. The wife wanted that friend request ignored, deleted, burned and totally eradicated. Whatever. I can laugh about it...I updated my marital status immediately.

But the friend of a friend of a friend thing is too many degrees of separation for me. I have a small cadre of close friends. Facebook goes against my grain. I check it out. I post comments. I'm naturally gregarious by nature. I think I might deactivate my facebook account.

Comments

  1. I had to leave a comment on my own posting...I've been of fb for awhile now, and i find it addicting! But in a bad way. I stopped playing any and all games, they are worthless. But I now have 114 'friends.' What does that mean? Even the founder of fb doesn't even have a page on his own social network! The question still looms - do I deactivate or not?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Liberal Tolerance Seems So...Well, Intolerant and Hateful

JESUS CHRIST And Newtown CT - Where Is God?

The DEATH Penalty and being Christian